Sunday, November 3, 2013

Burlap Embellished Jars

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'm a huge hoarder lover of Bath and Body Works' three-wick candles,  and since I think the jars they come in are so nice, I rarely get rid of them.  I find them to be so useful around the house!

Getting the wax out of the candle jars is so easy.  When the candle is done burning, I just pop the whole jar in the freezer for a few hours.  Once frozen, I pop the wax out using a butter knife, wipe out any remaining wax bits with a wet cloth, and wash the jar in the dishwasher.  It comes out perfectly clean and clear!

Recently, I decided to add some burlap embellishments to the jars that I use for storage in the bathrooms. First, I cut a 2-3 inch strip of burlap and wrapped it around the jar, securing it with hot glue. Then, I created 'burlap roses' to add to the lid of the jar.


There are about a million different ways to make burlap roses.  To create one that looks like this, cut a strip of burlap that is about 3 inches wide and 12 inches long.  Slowly pull one of the strings in the middle of the strip, causing the burlap to bunch up.  Once the burlap is bunched about halfway, select and pull a string from the other side of the strip to bunch the other half.  Tie those strings together, in order to pull the bunched up material into a circular form,which creates the rose look  Trim the strings and hot glue the bottom of the 'rose' to a small fabric scrap, which allows it to stay in place.  Hot glue or pin the rose wherever you would like to add an embellishment.


After having  success with the jars I use to store cotton swabs in the hall bathroom, I decided to embellish one of the jars that I keep in our master bath.


For this jar I wrapped a thinner strip of burlap around the jar, once again using hot glue to secure it.  Then, I used white burlap to create a different kind of rose to add on top of the burlap strip.


To create this rose, cut another strip of burlap that is about 2 inches wide and 10 inches long.  Fold the strip of burlap in half lengthwise.  Keeping the folded edge at the top, begin wrapping the strip of burlap around itself, in pinwheel fashion.  The inner part of the pinwheel becomes the inner petals of the rose.  When you have 'pinwheeled' the entire length of burlap, secure the end with hot glue.  Hot glue the bottom of the rose onto a small scrap of fabric to help it keep it's shape, and add your embellishment to the jar!


I think its a fun little craft that adds some excitement to the plain glass jars!  I just LOVE these jars.  I need to find more ways to use them, because I have so many hanging around!  Any ideas???

Linking Up At

 photo signature_zps64b784cd.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! Love the little rosette! I love that there are so many uses for burlap! Hope you're having a wonderful week!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I know! Your party helped me find so many new burlap ideas. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete