Thursday, February 6, 2014

Valentine's Day Gold Leaf Plates



As I've said before, I don't go too crazy with holiday decorating.  Especially for non-holidays like Valentine's Day.

 BUT I went a little gold-leaf crazy while I was snowed in this week.  And while I was at it, creating some Valentine's Day art seemed like a good idea.  

Plus, I had some mismatched salad plates laying around. So I had no choice, really.

I love the chippy, imperfect finish that gold leaf produces.  Which is a perfect match for the very imperfect method that I used to create these plates.  I simply used a small paint brush dipped in adhesive to paint a design on each plate, covered the whole thing with gold leaf, and then used an old toothbrush to brush off the excess. Once that was finished, I used the toothbrush to rub off a little more of the gold leaf in order to give the plates a worn look.



I used these unexpected additions to change up my console table decor....


....which might be one of the most difficult places in the house to photograph. Shadows abound.



I think they are kind of fun!

Linking Up At

 photo signature_zps64b784cd.jpg

1 comment: